History of the Trois Rivières Plantation Estate
1660, Nicolas Fouquet, Superintendent of Finance under Louis XIV, dreams of founding a vice-kingdom in the Antilles, with the complicity of Lieutenant Isaac de Feuquieres. He therefore awards himself a large concession, never before allotted in the Antilles: approximately 2,000 hectares between the towns of Diamant and Saint Luce. He had a veritable fortified castle built which never had a chance to be lived in, for, once Fouquet lost favor with the King, all the edifices of the estate were destroyed.
In 1770, the property, which had several owners, is divided into 3 sugar plantation estates, one of which is operational until 1867 and for which there remain some remnants of the past.
In 1785, it is the end of the preponderance of the royal representatives. Etienne Issaïe Marraud Desgrottes, a powerful landowner, purchases the Céron and Trois Rivières plantations. Céron is designated as a sugar mill where rum is also produced, while Trois Rivières is left deserted. Located by the seaside, the factory is linked to the plantations by means of several kilometers of railroad.
In 1894, following diverse vicissitudes, Céron is allocated to the Trois Rivières Co. Inc. It marks the end of Ceron as a production unit. The sugar works, built on the present site, are gradually oriented towards agricultural rum production. Progressively, a larger and larger part of production is stored for aging.
In 1976, Martini Rossi becomes a majority stockholder in the firm. Substantial financial aid is granted and the company will quickly draw on this new momentum.
At the beginning of the 1980s, the rum distillery is once again renovated and extended.
As of 1994, Trois Rivières is part of the Group, Bellonnie Bourdillon et Successeurs, already owners of La Mauny rums.